Friday, September 21, 2007

Writing for the audience

Practicing writing paragraphs in English 100 has readily improved my writing skills by showing me how to write to immediatley grab the audiences' attention, and how to make my arguments more clear and concise. To immediatley grab a person's attention is usually the job of the introductory paragraph, and I find that using a suprising fact or even a paradox is enough to perk their curiosity. For example, using my last blog as a reference, most people are not aware of the nursing shortages in B.C. But pairing that with the fact that some schools are not willing to honor credits from other Nursing programs and actually make it harder for existing LPN's and diploma RN's to get into the BSN, is a suprising fact for most readers. When writing a thesis it usually comes at the end of an introductory paragraph and forshadows what main arguements will be in the body of my essay. Thus, making it easier for the reader to distinguish what my solutions to the paradox are or what my ideas are on the suprising fact include. This also makes it easier for the audience to read because it keeps my thoughts in order and keeps me from going off on a rant, and I do have a tendency to do that. But by going back and reading my thesis statement, it keeps me on track and to the point.

1 comment:

Beata said...

I agree that the introductory paragraph should grab the audiences attention right away. When I read an essay or a book, the first couple of paragraphs should catch my curiousity,if it doesn't, I don't read at all.